Pursuit of Happiness

Thursday, October 27, 2011

27 Years and Counting!

Today Tim and I celebrate 27 years of marriage...while living 720 miles apart.  Many people might jokingly say that such a distance is the secret to a happy marriage, but I would disagree.  I miss Tim!


My husband Tim
This separation was my choice.  I willingly opted to spend this fall living with my mother-in-law in Chicago while Tim flies in each weekend from Washington, D.C., so that together we may attend all the games of our son's final year at Wheaton College.  Yet, I miss Tim's daily presence in my life, the companionship of talking over our day at dinner each night, the laughter shared over funny situations, the chance to discuss plans or ideas with one another, and simply being together.  Text messages, emails and quick weekend trips just aren't enough.  

Norma, Cindy, Richard and Tim Jacobson
As much fun as it has been to follow Richard's football team and as much as I'm hoping his team makes it into the post-season playoffs, I am looking forward to the end of football season.  I miss my best friend!


Tim and I function at opposite ends of many spectrums; nevertheless, he completes me.  His gregarious friendliness offsets my shyness.  His forthright rationality grounds me whenever I chase whimsies.  His ability to cut to the heart of a matter while I dither enables me to see complexities more clearly.  His gung ho approach to life has swept me along on many adventures.  What I love most about Tim is the way he loves me with his total commitment, in spite of our differences.  


This has been a year of separations, the first occurring last spring when he moved to D.C. two months ahead of me and now this fall's football season. Yet, our marriage survives for we entered into this contract as a party of three...Tim, God and me.  


Though one may be overpowered,
two can defend themselves.
A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.
Ecclesiastes 4:12


Happy Anniversary, Tim!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks so much Cindy,

    I'm not as good as you with words (thus you have the blog and not me), but it's funny, when texting you earlier, I hadn't read Facebook or your Blog, yet I told you that "You completed me" ... I think we're on the right track and our pilgramage in life has been blessed. God has blessed me with you ... to fulfill our vision together. Love you! TJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kim for your friendship! I know you are married to your best friend, too!

    Ah, Tim, I'm just seeking clarity here...By "fulfill our vision," do you mean..
    1. The one about ditching current responsibilities to take to the road in a monster RV to visit every single U.S. national park, even though such an RV won't fit in most national park campsites, until we come to the end of our money and make our way to Jillian's driveway (Richard doesn't have one!) where we park it for the rest of our lives?
    2. The one where you put in for the job to run the 1-man FBI office in Garden City, Kansas, fighting crime throughout the western third of the state so I finally, FINALLY might live close to family?
    3. The vision we pray about almost every Sunday that says "Thy Will Be Done?"
    I'm sure you meant #3, but regardless I'm in this marriage for the long haul. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm laughing as I type this phrase..."To be continued!"

    ReplyDelete