I assimilated my dad's adversion to chicken by osmosis and even after I left home, I refused to eat it. Then, I married a man who loves chicken. Ah, the ironies of life!
This spring I've prepared a lot of chicken, not just for my husband Tim to eat, but also for the approximately 1650 client families who weekly visit the Arlington Food Assistance Center, the local food bank. I'm one of AFAC's volunteers who bag chicken on Wednesday afternoons.
![]() |
| AFAC's band of Wednesday afternoon chicken baggers |
| Crates of donated chicken from Holly Poultry, Inc. |
My band of volunteers has developed a rhythm to our work. Donning plastic gloves and aprons, we each have a part to play in this dance of chicken bagging.
| Chas leads off our Chicken Dance. |
| Mike, Chas and Pete |
| Pat expertly twirls her bag of chicken closed before knotting its top. |
| Chas carrys the final crate into the walk-in refrigerator. |
| A job well-done, Chas! |

Randy prefers beef, partially because that's what is in the freezer, I suppose. I have seen a chicken "dance" - like your Dad did, as I helped my Grandma process chickens. And the chicken dance is always a favorite among the kids at wedding dances. But this appears to be the best kind of chicken dance of all! I love the clever analogy!
ReplyDelete