But thanks to an innovative Mural Arts Program started by muralist Jane Golden in 1984, graffiti artists have channeled their artistic talents in positive ways by creating neighborhood murals on blank building walls throughout the city. Now, more than 25 years later, these murals have become beloved icons of Philly's neighborhoods and a source of pride for Philadelphians.
Would you like to see some of these incredible works of art? Here's one!
| #17 "Mapping Courage: Honoring W.E.B. DuBois and Engine #11" Painted on the south facade of a historic African-American firehouse S. 6th & South Street in Philadelphia |
View The Mural Mile in a larger map
| # 15. "Crystal Snowscape." 629 S. 10th Street in Philadelphia |
Do you see it? No, I don't see it either. Do you suppose its building was demolished? Hmmm! I agree...there's no sign of rubble. I guess it's here somewhere, but I don't see it.
Good grief! What kind of urban adventurers are we, if we cannot follow this simple map? We're lost and it's only the second one! Aaaaarrrrggghhhh! Are we destined to wander forever in Philly? What? You think I'm over-reacting? You might have a point. Let's just move on to #14, OK?
| #14. "Give Me Shelter." 1236 Lombard Street, somewhere in Philadelphia |
| #13. "Theater of Life." 507 S. Broad Street, somewhere in Philadelphia |
| #12. "Spring." 1315 Pine Street, somewhere in Philadelphia |
| #11. "Mural at Dirty Frank's." 345 S. 13th Street , somewhere in Philadelpha |
You're right! The name says it all! Dirty Frank's is a bar. Is this a dive? What? Why are you running away? I couldn't hear youuuuuuuuu...
| #10. "Taste of Summer." 1312 Spruce Street, somewhere in Philadelphia |
What? You're in a rush? You can't slow down long enough to taste Italian? That's pathetic! Some people just don't know how to enjoy la dolche vita!
| #9. "Pride & Progress. 1315 Spruce Street somewhere in Philadelphia |
Wow! Look at this "Pride & Progress" mural! It stretches along an entire city block. What is this building? Oh, the William Way Community Center. That fits!
| #8. "Women of Progress. 1307 Locust Street somewhere in Philadelphia |
It's a what? Oh, a philanthrophy founded in 1893 to support the social, industrial and educational cultivaton and improvement for working girls and women. Today it still continues to improve economic and social opportunities for women. Well, of course! "Women of Progress!" I get it now!
| #7. "Philadelphia Muses." 1235 Locust Street somewhere in Philadelphia. |
| #6. "Garden of Delight." 203 S. Sartain, somewhere in Philadelphia |
| #5. "Building the City." S. 12th & Moravian Streets, somewhere in Philadelphia |
| One side of #5. "Building the City." S. 12th & Moravian Streets, somewhere in Philadelphia |
| The other section of # 5. "Building the City." S. 12th & Moravian Streets, somewhere in Philadelphia |
| #4. "Finding Home." 21 S. 13th Street, somewhere in Philadelphia |
I like the title of this mural, don't you? "Finding Home!" It's right next to Saint John the Evangelist Church.
| #3. "Tree of Knowledge." 1301 Market Street, Philadelphia |
What, I cut off Penn in my photo? No, I didn't! Did I really? How could I do that?
| A close-up of #3. "Tree of Knowledge." 1301 Market Street, Philadelphia |
Don't you love the fact that, although no law prohibited it, all Philadelphia buildings stayed underneath Penn's watchful eye from his perch at the top of this tower, thanks to an informal "gentleman's agreement.
| There! Do you see Penn now? |
Still, I like how Philadelphia's dramatic skyline has sprung up since that year as others have added skyscrapers to the commercial district west of City Hall. Earlier today, I wanted to capture a photo of the cityscape when I visited Penn's Landing, Philly's waterfront along the Delaware River. But when I saw the span of the Benjamin Franklin Bridge over the river, I decided that would be too much walking for me!
| The view from Penn's Landing looking across the Delaware River to Camden, New Jersey |
| The Benjamin Franklin Bridge |
| #2. "A People's Progression Towards Equality: With Malice Toward None, With Charity For All." 8th & Ranstead Streets, Philadelphia, PA |
"With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds, to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan, to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations."
If only we could live up to Lincoln's words...
| #1. "Legacy." 707 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA |
The next time I have the pleasure to visit Philly, I plan to pay my way onto a guided Mural Arts Program tour so I can see more neighborhood icons in this "City of Murals." I have no doubt that, with my ticket purchase coming close to the price of a gallon of paint, the Mural Arts Program could put it to good use.
But right now, I'm worn out! Let's return to the hotel. I'm dying to see your Philadelphia photo!
| Panoramic view of Philadelphia's skyline as seen from Camden, New Jersey Photo courtesy of Wikipedia |
I went to Philadelphia several years ago with Jill for a dietetics convention. While we did some sightseeing, we missed doing this mural tour. Thanks for taking me along. I'd love to see it in person sometime.
ReplyDeleteI loved the fact that the City of Philadelphia has found a way to encourage young artists to enhance their community rather than deface it. Thanks for joining me on my mural tour, Kim! I hope you & Jill will get another chance to visit Philly in the future!
ReplyDeleteNice to be visiting your blog again. it has been months for me. Well this article that i've been waited for so long. I need this article to complete my assignment in the college. and it has same topic with your article. Thanks. great share.
ReplyDeleteweb