| The Library of Congress |
Yet, this is America's library as the docent who led my tour last Saturday proudly proclaimed. This is the library that has served our nation's leaders and "furthered the progress of knowledge and creativity for the benefit of the American people" since it was established in 1800. This is the library that began in 1995 to digitize its collections of books, pamphlets, manuscripts, motion pictures, photographs, sound recordings and more so that the story of our country's rich cultural heritage could be readily accessible online to all.
If I'd known how breathtakingly beautiful the interior of the Library of Congress is, I would have visited it years ago!
Originally, the library was housed in the U.S. Capital, but it moved across the street when the opulent Thomas Jefferson Building was completed in 1897. This was place to be in D.C. at the turn of the last century, the place where fashionable Washingtonians came to see and be seen.
| The Great Hall in the Thomas Jefferson Building of the Library of Congress |
| Minerva, the goddess of wisdom, holds aloft the torch of learning below the Great Hall's ceiling |
| One of the corridors surrounding the Great Hall |
Although President John Adams signed the bill in April 1800 that moved our nation's capital from Philadelphia to the District of Columbia and appropriated $5,000 at the same time for the establishment of a legislative library, the library owes even more of its existence to Thomas Jefferson who became president after Adams.
![]() |
| Bust of Thomas Jefferson in the Great Hall |
Almost 50 years later, a fire in a faulty chimney flue in the Capital ignited on the morning of Christmas Eve in 1851, destroying two-thirds of the library's 55,000 volumes, including 4,000 books from Jefferson's original collection. Upon the 200th anniversary of the Library of Congress, Librarian James H. Billington began the quest to replace Jefferson's destroyed volumes with copies gathered from rare book dealers around the world. Jefferson's collection is now on permanent display on the second floor of the Thomas Jefferson Building.
| Minerva marble mosaic by Elihu Vedder |
![]() |
| Main Reading Room (photo by Carol McKinney Highsmith) |
| The Giant Bible of Mainz |
| The Gutenberg Bible |
I visited the Library on the final day of its "I Love Lucy: An American Legend" exhibit which commemorated the 60th anniversary of the TV show that brought Lucy and Ricky Ricardo and Ethel and Fred Mertz into our collective consciousness.
| "I Love Lucy: An American Legend" A Library of Congress Exhibition August 4, 2011 - January 28, 2012 |
Because the show pioneered the use of 35 mm film cameras to simultaneously capture the action on the set rather than the early and blurry kinescopes, it was the first television show to be broadcast in reruns when Lucille Ball gave birth to her first child in 1955 and needed the additional time off.
"I Love Lucy" has since been dubbed in twenty-two languages and shown in eighty countries, causing viewers around the world to fall in love with Lucy. Certainly, my love for Lucy lured me into visiting the Library of Congress, a trip I wish I'd made years ago!


That is gorgeous! I'm with Jefferson: I don't want to live without books either. Thanks for the vicarious tour!
ReplyDeleteYou're welcome, Kim! I agree that life without books would be dull indeed. I didn't mention in this blog all the quotations about books and reading that were engraved upon the walls of the Library of Congress, but those were inspiring to read. Perhaps you'll see them yourself someday if you and Randy could swing through DC enroute to Brent's.
Delete