Pursuit of Happiness

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Soaring St. Stephen's Basilica

I took a photo of this postcard view of St. Stephen's Basilica.  All my attempts to photograph Chain Bridge with the Basilica in the background lopped off the Basilica's dome.

When I walked over to St. Stephen’s Basilica on Tuesday morning, I was expecting to be awed by its grandeur, both outside and in.  After all, its dome towers above the city.


St. Stephen's Basicilia

I wasn’t expecting a 360-degree panoramic view of Budapest from underneath its dome, but that’s exactly what I got.  


The view from the outside walkway around St. Stephen's dome
I also received a healthy dose of exercise as I climbed the 364 stairs in its tower to get this view!  


Can you see the walkway right underneath the dome?
Named in honor of Stephen, the first king of Hungary (c 975-1038), this Roman Catholic church houses his mummified right arm.  I didn’t get inside to see that gruesome sight, but I did enjoy the plaza and the stonework of the church’s exterior.  


Another view of St. Stephen's Basilica

Like my adopted city’s Washington Monument, no building is allowed to be taller than the 96 meters (314 ft. 11.5 in.) height of St. Stephen’s Basilica.  The Parliament buildings just to the northwest of the Basilica are exactly the same height, symbolizing that worldly and spiritual thought have the same importance.  

Hmmm!  I agree with that thought if you consider that a Christian is called to love God and other people.


St. Stephen's Basilica at night
As for the interior of the Basilica, I talked my husband Tim into returning to the cathedral later that night for a small chamber music concert.  


The dome's ceiling
The sounds of Bach, Handel, Vivaldi and Liszt soared up to the dome of the Basilica.



The front interior of the Basilica
Everywhere we looked, the opulence of the cathedral could be seen. Our spirits soared with the music and the beauty of this church.


"Music...gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
~ Plato


No comments:

Post a Comment