Pursuit of Happiness

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Worshipping With Wonder

Matthias Catholic Church
Sunday morning my husband Tim and I woke to a sunny, mild day, a day when the  winter-wearied citizens of Budapest flocked to outdoor parks  to raise their faces to the sun.  What better way to express our gratitude for such beautiful weather than to attend the 10 a.m. worship service at Matthias Church.


Tim on the Szechenyi Chain Bridge
Tim and I walked across the Chain Bridge to the western bank of the Danube River. Named for Count Széchenyi who funded the building of the bridge in 1849 after he was unable to cross the river to be with his dying father, this bridge symbolizes the unity of the two cities of Buda and Pest.


The Chain Bridge as seen from the top of the Castle District of Buda

Chain Bridge after its destruction in World War II
(I took this snapshot from that on a placard describing the destruction of the bridge.)
Tim and I followed Matthias Church's spire to the square where the church is stands tall above the neighborhood.


The southern spire of Matthias Church
Matthias Church is a Buda landmark on the western side of the Danube River.  Dating back more than 500 years, this Gothic church was named for King Matthias Corvinus who married Beatrice here in 1474.  King Matthias also ordered the embellishment of its southern tower with the delicate spire seen today, but it was the interior of the church that we sought to see.


Inside Matthias Church

Entering the church’s nave, we found two folding chairs near the rear.  We worried that parishioners would frown upon our invasion of their church, but we soon discovered that they were happy to shake hands with two fellow Christians from America.  Watching our neighbors closely, we tried to participate in the Hungarian-language service by bowing our heads in prayer when appropriate.  To our delight, we recognized The Apostles’ Creed, written in Latin and Hungarian listed in the order of worship; we repeated it in English while our neighbors recited the Hungarian version of the creed.



The soaring ceiling of Matthias Church

Sadly we saw few young people in the congregation. Except for one family with grade-school-age children, the rest of the parishioners were elderly. We wondered who will tell others about Christ's sacrifice for all on the cross once this generation is gone?


My photo does not do justice to the beautiful rose window on the west facade of Matthias Church
There’s another wonder that this church is known for--the Mary Wonder.  According to legend, during the siege of Buda by the Ottoman Turks, a wall of the church collapsed due to cannon fire.  The collapse revealed a statue of the Virgin Mary hidden behind the wall.  Tradition holds that with the statue’s appearance, the morale of the Turks was destroyed and the city fell from Turkish dominance the same day.  We didn’t see this statue of Mary, but we did enjoy the impressive medieval stone carvings.


Entrance to Matthias Church

The church’s interior was full of scaffolding since a major renovation is underway, but that didn’t mar the splendor of the sun shining through its stained glass windows. 


One of Matthias Church's stained glass window
Upon the conclusion of the worship service, we exited the church and ascended Fisherman’s Bastion, Budapest’s version of the Great Wall of China.  


This statue of King Stephen I stands in between Matthias Church and Fisherman's Bastian.

The Bastion is a structure of seven towers linked by viewing platforms that give one a remarkable view of the Parliament buildings and St. Stephen’s Basilica across the Danube River.  


Fisherman's Bastian

Both Tim and I had seen the following view before in a commercial that touts Viking River Cruises and airing weekly prior PBS’s Masterpiece Theater.


A view of the Hungarian Parliament on the east side of the Danube River

Fisherman’s Bastion looks medieval, but it’s not.  It was designed by architect Frigyes Schulek and built in 1905.  Named for the medieval guild of fishermen who were responsible for the defense of this section of the Danube, its seven towers represent the seven Magyar tribes who migrated to the Carpathian Basin in the late 800s.  


Still another view of Fisherman's Bastian

Leaving Fisherman's Bastion, we wandered through the Castle District, as this neighborhood is known, to Kapisztran Ter. Ter means square or public park.  


The tower of St. Mary Magdalen Church

There we found the ruins of St. Mary Magdalen church, a Gothic structure completed in 1276. Frommer's travel guide states that "during the Turkish invasion, this church was alternately used by Catholics and Protestants, only to become a Turkish djami." All but the tower entrance and one window were demolished by air raids during World War II.



Remaining window of St. Mary Magdalen Church
Is it any wonder that Hungarians have lost their faith after the horrific events of that war? Surely many wondered where God was when He allowed such fearful things to happen. And yet, God is also named Emmanuel, "God With Us." He was present in the hearts of courageous Hungarian heroes who stood firm against the Nazis. He is present in the hearts of believers today.

In our worship of our Lord this morning, I wondered how courageous I might be if I faced such difficult times in my future. Emmanuel (God with us) is also called Wonderful Counselor. May I ever look to Him for wisdom and direction in the choices I make each day...



6 comments:

  1. Awesome pictures and great historical description thanks for educating me more on this as I wasn't familiar and found it very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Yas! I wish you & Ralph could have joined us on this trip. You would have loved Budapest!

      Delete
  2. My favorite photo is the one with the stained glass window, but all the architecture is intricate and beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Kim! I always look up whenever I'm in a cathedral i think the soaring ceilings are my favorite attribute, but stained glass windows are right behind that on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cindy, Somehow i have missed this adventure. Thank you for this writing about the church and history in Hungary. I look forward to reading more about this wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Patty! From your photos on FB, I could tell that you & Mickey had a wonderful trip to Bermuda. We are lucky to have husbands who allow us to tag along on their travels.

      Delete